Home > Academics > Australia
< This page is still under construction >
Postgraduate Diploma in Emergency Medicine
This 1 year full time course, held at the University of Melbourne/ Western Health, is aimed at people seeking additional experience and qualifications in the field of Emergency Medicine including general practitioners practising in rural/ remote areas and overseas-qualified doctors seeking occupational training in the field.
Note: This qualification does not qualify a successful candidate as a specialist Emergency Physician in Australia and is not specifically recognised towards the specialist training course of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine [ACEM].
To be eligible for selection for this course, applicants must:
1. Have a degree in Medicine from a university acceptable to the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science, AND
2. Have a minimum of two years relevant experience in a health service setting in Australia or overseas, AND
3. Be eligible for registration as a medical practitioner in the State of Victoria [temporary/ provisional registration is acceptable], AND
4. Be fluent in English equivalent to a level of no less than IELTS 7 overall and with a score of no less than 7 in speaking and listening. AND
5. Be nominated by a hospital participating in the course.
6. Participation is conditional upon employment at the nominated hospital.
Note: Candidates are paid a salary for their work-component at the appropriate rate.
There will be up to two intakes/year –in February and August. Details of applications are on the website given below
The course is based on a points structure with students required to accumulate a certain number of points in order to receive the award.
To satisfy the requirements of the Postgraduate Diploma students will pass subjects accumulating a total of 100 points. All subjects are compulsory.
Principles of Emergency and Critical Care -----------12.5 points
Emergency Medicine: Clinical Placement 1 ----------37.5 points
Clinical Emergency Medicine -----------------------12.5 points
Emergency Medicine: Clinical Placement 2 ----------37.5 points
Total -------------------------------------------100.0 points
Principles of Emergency Care and Clinical Emergency Medicine are tutorial/ seminar-based subjects comprising 3 hours/ week.
Emergency Medicine: Clinical Placement 1 and Emergency Medicine: Clinical Placement 2 are experience-based subjects involving working under supervision in the emergency departments of Western Health.
Further details can be obtained from the website:
Dr Delyth Samuel