bullet.gif New Pediatric Stroke...
bullet.gif EM Talks on MP3
bullet.gif Ethical & Legal Aspe...
bullet.gif Advanced Trauma Life...
bullet.gif Snakes of Medical Im...
Host
NEPI website developed, maintained & supported by EmergencyMedicine.in
View Thread
NEPI » Emergency Medicine » Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
 Print Thread
EMS Team
maroju
Is it not possible to send a doctor to the scene of an accident as part of a pre-hospital team?

What would constitute an ideal EMS team?

(By this I donot mean patient transport platforms but teams that could really start life-saving interventions when indicated very early in the cascade of emergency care process).

I could think of a few combinations. There can be many more!!!
a. Paramedic-Paramedic
b. Paramedic-nurse
c. Paramedic-doctor
d. Nurse-doctor
e. nurse-nurse
f. doctor-doctor

I personally donot think that the last two options would be viable or beneficial. They would not bring any skill mix to the team. Like-wise, in a nurse-doctor team, neither of them would have been exposed to as much pre-hospital experience!!!

I would probably put my money on option C (paramedic-doctor), provided the doctor is trained in pre-hospital care. It is not sufficient if the doctor is trained in EM/ICU/Anaesthetics/Trauma, as Pre-hospital care is a totally different ball-game!!! If there is no provision for such expertise, then possibly we are better off with a double-para team...
Edited by maroju on 28-02-2008 10:30

imron
I'll go for the Paramedic - Paramedic combination.
I feel this is the best.

This combination has been proved in the US.

www.emergencymedicine.in
dr_seem
My money wud be on Doctor-Paramedic...considering the fact that if anyone can get closer to doctors are indeed paramedics...and this wud
nullify the chances of either inexperience of doctor in pre hospital or relatively less competent paramedic...if one of them was assumed to be "NEWLY MARRIED" to this branch .

Dr.Shahab.

maroju
Talking about doctor-paramedic teams, what kind of training would these doctors be getting in pre-hospital care?

What kind of role should the paramedic assume and what kind of things would the doctor be expected to undertake if they responded to an incident? or is it that both have similar competencies and there is an overlap of their roles?

What is the governing body for pre-hospital care provided by doctors and paramedics? Is it MCI or SEMI?

(very sorry... too many questions again...)
Edited by maroju on 02-03-2008 01:53

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Want to join a discussion?
Starting/Replying to a discussion thread in NEPI Forum
Copyright © 2006-2020 EmergencyMedicine.in All Rights Reserved