bullet.gif New Pediatric Stroke...
bullet.gif EM Talks on MP3
bullet.gif Ethical & Legal Aspe...
bullet.gif Advanced Trauma Life...
bullet.gif Snakes of Medical Im...
Host
NEPI website developed, maintained & supported by EmergencyMedicine.in
View Thread
NEPI » Emergency Medicine » Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
 Print Thread
Advocacy or Stupidity?
ninakanth
A conference recently held in Bangalore focusing on man made disasters (read terrorism) and medical emergencies had a topic titled
--ROLE OF CITY HOSPITALS IN MASS DISASTERS--.

A prominent cardiothoracic surgeon spoke (why CTVS?) and actually made a powerpoint on his wonderful new health city and how he had 5000 beds and could accomodate 5000 more- thus providing "his health city" as the answer!

errrr...are we stupid to use world like "triage" and "mass disaster protocol" ? why is this subject abused by showmen? and when will the people be able to sift between sense and crap?

maybe we as the new emergency physicians need to speak out against the mill of doctors that think they know more than change and developement?

needless to say when i was about to ask, the said gentleman he promptly said, no question please!
Edited by webmaster on 22-12-2008 21:58

imron
As an emergency physician, I think I'll go speak at a CTVS conference about how CABG can be done in a better way by using an ophthalmic artery graft!!

Maybe this will make that surgeon understand that disaster management is not his area of expertise.

The worst problem is that the lame people who attend the conference will believe all this without realizing that there is a community of disaster medicine experts who can guide them in the right direction.

Bangalore as a city sucks when it comes to awareness of emergency medicine, EMS & disaster management.
Only a couple of hospitals have EM trained personnel and even they have not done anything significant to promote its awareness.

www.emergencymedicine.in
drarung
'pseudo experts' giving talks on subjects they dont know much about is not a problem only in india- it happens in uk aswell. the govt appointed czar of healthcare in uk is a cardiothoracic surgeon who has proposed a variety of measures to improve emergency services and primary care- he has never worked in either fields!!

maybe the society for emergency medicine/nepi should bring out an official document on disaster management and send these to various places- medical colleges, health ministers etc etc

maybe some of us could form a dedicated committee to bring out such emergency medicine related documents of relevance to india.

arun.

imron
Have a look at the National Disaster Management Website
formed by Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt of India.

[url]http://www.ndmindia.nic.in[/url]

www.emergencymedicine.in
maroju
Due to our country's sheer size, conceiving a plan and more importantly, implementing it nationwide becomes a mammoth and an almost impossible task.

Arun, your essay on EMS in India is very good. Many thanks for the info. (I should however beg to disagree with you on the issue of the 'Czar' and his role on the emergency services in UK. I feel it is sometimes good to have a fresh set of eyes to look at a problem with a new/different perspective and come up with answers...)

I would give full credit to the people who have already thought of it and have put some form of working mechanism into this business of mass casualty/major incidents ( am not talking of the CT surgeon in Bangalore or the likes). However, not enough has been done. Perhaps cascading the same quality of information and also training the crews at grass root levels is the crux of the problem. I am mindful that this would entail a lot of money, energy, enthusiasm and time.

Though unfortunate, it is time the government used incidents like that in Mumbai and Hyderabad to set a platform to launch its major incident management training programmes in a big way and set the ball rolling...

Harsha
many a times it is so pity full that emergency medicine has to take shade of incidences that has hurt hundreds(to help many more).
EM is the front door of any set up, but still its not appreciated for the fact that it is free, [FREE ENTRY].

we see that specialties or people who make a lot of money or who are into getting huge turnover to companies are highlighted and promoted and so does the specialty.

may be its in forums like this we need to get this into notice and representatives approach the appropriate people to give them a brief presentation of what EM is and the role it can play in mass casualty situations, more importantly the difference in approach.
and to tell them, that EM is just not crushing on ones chest or giving a mouth to mouth breath!!!!!

may be once they are able to see this then people may stop doing the CABG'S with ophthalmic artery graft's in EM'S.

drarung
respect for emergency medicine will not happen overnight. some of the developing countries having been fighting this was for a while and it is still an everyday battle to make other specialities respect us for what we do. patience and perseverence is the key.

the society itself cannot afford to have too many splinters amongst us. at the moment i see that that are multiple societies representing emergency medicine in india. there needs to be a coming together of persons/institutions for the larger good of emergency medicine in india.

arunkumar ganesan.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Want to join a discussion?
Starting/Replying to a discussion thread in NEPI Forum
Copyright © 2006-2020 EmergencyMedicine.in All Rights Reserved