NEPI website developed, maintained & supported by EmergencyMedicine.in
View Thread
NEPI » Emergency Medicine » Queries
 Print Thread
info : Emergency Medicine course
drs
hi..everyone, i'm Dr Sachin .. new member to NEPI.. just joined today
i need a favour from u ... info regarding Emergency Medicine course in India
i finished my MBBS in 2006 from Karnataka, worked as a resident doctor while preparing for UNITED STATES MEDICAL LICENSCING EXAMINATION ..finished step 1 .. giving step 2 in a month...applying for visa after that to give clinical skills exam n step 3... n apply fo EM post graduation (Residency) in USA..
in case i don't get visa or EM in usa .. i'm planning to do a EM course India n apply again. .
i searched in Google about it .. n found a few .. but i need additional information from u ...
WHAT IS THE SELECTION CRITERIA for EM in Indian institutions ?
which among these has affiliation to AMERICAN UNIVERSITY ( it will be of much help to me if it is affiliated to American university since i'm planning to do my Residency in EM in USA)
i went thru SRMC college website .. its a MD degree !! there are 10 seats/ yr. , but it doesn't come under SRMC entrance exam seat matrix ( i guess bcoz EM is not yet recognised by MCI in India as speciality )

1 : WHAT IS DIFFERNECE B/W FELLOWSHIP N CETRIFICATE COURSE in EM?
2 : WHY IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN COURSE DURATION .. 1 yr in some, 2 yrs .. n 3 yrs in SRMC ?
3 : WHAT IS THE SELECTION CRITERIA in these INSTITUTIONS ?
4 : WHICH AMONG THESE HAS AFFILIATION TO AMERICAN UNIVERSITY? ( SRMC : Harvard Medical International , IIEMS : Washington university... 6 months optional elective in US, Appollo : John Hopkins or UK university ?
5 : WHICH IS GOVERNING COUNCIL FOR EM IN INDIA ? SINCE MCI DOESN'T RECOGNIZE EM ... SEMI ?
6 : ANY ADDTIONAL INSTITUTION S OTHER THAN ABOVE MENTIONED ?
7 : WHAT IS UR OPINION REGARDING DOING EM IN USA ?

all info n advice will be appreciated , thanx in advance !!!
kindly introduce urself as i'm a new member

EDITED BY ADMIN
Edited by drs on 23-04-2008 17:44

webmaster
Dear Sachin

External links to other institutions are not allowed.

Do not post your question in more than one forum.

Do not send your queries via email or private messages to NEPI members.

You have asked too many questions at the same time. You'll have to wait for a few days for answers.

Are you really sure you want to take up EM as a career?
Edited by webmaster on 14-04-2008 20:03
For Indian Emergency Medicine!

www.emergencymedicine.in
drs
hi...
above mistakes while posting the query are regretted.

ya i'm seriously planning EM as a career .. i went thru few of the posts on this site mentioning 6 months trial / exposure as EM resident before taking it up as career ...

looking forward for advice regarding the queries posted earlier .. thanx

drs
St Johns, Bangalore
CMC, Vellore
SRMC, Chennai
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
IIEMS , Kerala

imron
It is very difficult to comment on which institute to do EM course in India because each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. It is upto you to decide on this by visiting their emergency depts and meeting people working there. If you are really serious you need to get first hand information before joining there. People who have not worked in a particular institute have no knowledge to give a comment.

As for your questions....

1) Fellowship in EM course in India lasts for 1 year. 1 year of full time work with exams and thesis. Sometimes an institute may arrange one extra year of international rotation in an ED in US or australia.
Certificate courses are usually online EM courses given by some institutes. They are usually for 6 months. They are not for anybody who is seriously interested in pursuing EM.

2) Course duration may last from anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. MD / MCEM programs are 3 years. Fellowship / Diploma are for 2 years.

3) Selection criteria differ in each institute. You need to contact the institutes directly for more info. Some have an entry exam, some have a 3 to 6 month probation period for selection, whereas some can be entered by paying an admission fee.

4) George Washington University / Ronald Reagan Institute of Emergency Medicine is an US organization affiliated to IIEMS. (It cannot be told whether it will help you get a residency in US)

5) SEMI is the central body for emergency medicine in India. It will be the future governing council.

6) There are a few more instititutes which offer EM related courses in Pune and Chennai. MD emergency medicine is also offered at Sri Vinayaka Mission Hospital, Salem.

7) EM residency positions in US are occupied by the top 4% of overseas doctors moving into USA. EM ranks as the one of the first choices for residents going from India. Therefore it is not easy to get into EM there.

Edited by imron on 16-04-2008 01:38

www.emergencymedicine.in
drs
hi Imron ..
thanx a lot for the information...Smile

imuwithash
Hello !
What about Vinayaka medical college Emergency medicine 3 years MD course ? Is It Good ?

webmaster
Difficult to say. First batch of MD from there haven't come out yet. I think I'll go visit their ED soemtime and find out.

www.emergencymedicine.in
geeanand
hai sachin,
i am Anand doing final year MD emergency from vinayaka missions ,salem.
about your querry on the course here. we get to see all types of emergencies here. we are not bothered by other speciality PGs(in terms of chances for procedures) as in other colleges as we dont have any.
our faculty is a very young and dynamic bunch so most of the time they move as friends only. they are very easily approachable.
we have managed to bag the maximum number of awards on research papers in the last 2 years in all the conferences. i think that should give you an idea on the academic programme here.
finally i invite you for a visit to Vinayaka to have a first hand experience of the department.you will not be dissapointed!
i am very thankful to the SEMI executive members for starting this wonderful platform where all the giants of india's emergency medicine from vellore, bangalore , hyderabad ,chennai and other places can share their knowledge and opinion.thank you very much.Smile

drs
@ Anand
thank u very much.. will u please give me additional information regarding no. of seats / intake for MD EM, fees , stipend , course starting date n selection criteria if any?
looking forward for ur reply, thanx again

webmaster
Dear Members
Please respect the intentions of this forum. Although information sharing is allowed, one should not attempt to advertise a particular institute or hospital's course/program. This can be sent to a particular member by private messaging or by personal email, but not in NEPI's discussion forums.

New members need to browse through our forums to learn the language before attempting to post messages.

If you do need to advertise or announce something, contact me and it will be put on the main site for a price. (But not in NEPI).

Courses and programs fighting on who is best and this forum turning into an advertising platfrom, is the last thing I want.

I hope you all understand. Thank you for your cooperation.

Dear geeanand,

The Network of Emergency Physicians, India was the brainchild & an initiative of Dr. Suresh David, Prof & Head, Dept of of A&E, CMC Vellore. He is the current administrator of NEPI. Dr. Imron Subhan (Creator & administrator of [url]www.emergencymedicine.in[/url] and the Webmaster of NEPI) and his team at Hyderabad have developed this site and are currently maintaining it. No other individual either from SEMI or any other organization has been involved in NEPI's development or maintainence. A major academic contribution to NEPI came from early members like maroju & stemlyns.
Edited by imron on 26-12-2008 03:04

www.emergencymedicine.in
maroju
'Thou shall not disobey lest thou shall invite the wrath of the master...kerchhhinnnng.....

Risking being whipped, how about someone creating something on the lines of 'league tables' about various institutes based on set criteria. Some common denominators of interest to EM residents that could be used are (certainly not in order of priority):

a Education & Training
b Research facilities
c Places to hangout in the town (of course in free time!!!)
d Study Leave
e Accommodation and facilities for trainees
f Fees/Stipend
g Supportive Bosses/Staff
h Attitude of other depts in the centre towards EM
i Availability of other paraclinical and technical support at work
j Success rates at exams of candidates from the said centre etc etc

WARNING: NEPI may not necessarily be the right forum for this kind of activity.

With so many institutes popping up like wild mushrooms, this may be a good indicator of performance and also would be a good guide to future aspirants.

Beware, this system would only work if people scored their institutes fairly and not out of 'hatred' or worse still 'loyalty'!!!
Edited by maroju on 06-05-2008 04:47

imuwithash
Vmc is good. [quote]maroju wrote:
'Thou shall not disobey lest thou shall invite the wrath of the master...kerchhhinnnng.....

Risking being whipped, how about someone creating something on the lines of 'league tables' about various institutes based on set criteria. Some common denominators of interest to EM residents that could be used are (certainly not in order of priority):

a Education & Training
b Research facilities
c Places to hangout in the town (of course in free time!!!)
d Study Leave
e Accommodation and facilities for trainees
f Fees/Stipend
g Supportive Bosses/Staff
h Attitude of other depts in the centre towards EM
i Availability of other paraclinical and technical support at work
j Success rates at exams of candidates from the said centre etc etc

WARNING: NEPI may not necessarily be the right forum for this kind of activity.

With so many institutes popping up like wild mushrooms, this may be a good indicator of performance and also would be a good guide to future aspirants.

Beware, this system would only work if people scored their institutes fairly and not out of 'hatred' or worse still 'loyalty'!!![/quote]

imuwithash
Big problem is there is rotating residency.

ateeq
i wud like to know more regarding the PGFEM at kims Kerala. can any 1 help me out regarding the same. how is the exposure n stuff.. hope to hear from some 1 soon..

maroju
imuwithash, apart from the problem of finding a suitable accommodation, I feel rotating residencies are usually good. You get to see a good case mix. Learn all the good things and at the same time see the bad things to avoid. More importantly, you get to meet more and usually interesting people!!!!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Want to join a discussion?
Starting/Replying to a discussion thread in NEPI Forum
Copyright © 2006-2020 EmergencyMedicine.in All Rights Reserved